Wednesday, March 4, 2009

anxious

I generally agree with every one's views the story of the Stanford student. But I'm going to be honest. I get the feeling when reading some of these blogs that everyone was inspired by this short story and I hate to admit I wasn't very inspired. These stories all share such closely-related morals and all have a similar purpose, which seems to be to persuade the ready to become active. Which, don't get me wrong, is a completely worth-while and wonderful purpose for a book. Although, for me it is becoming repetitive. At first I found myself getting inspired and motivated for community activism and this SLICE trip. Now, getting to the later chapters in the book, I find myself anxious. Not anxious like worried but anxious like ardently excited.

These stories have enticed me to really look around at what is really happening in the world and not just in my life. I find myself searching for a greater purpose and meaning in life. Which, for me, unfortunately seems like like an internal conflict of sorts. I've always lived my life in a manner by a quote I recently read;" A fool looks for happiness in the distance, a wise man grows it under his feet,"(Schlink 1). I find myself longing for this huge, amazing task to conquer, when in reality, I haven't completely "conquered" my own life. I feel like I should master my everyday life before I go searching for huge achievements to fulfill. Like the book says, one small step at a time. For now, I'm going to be a great college student. Tomorrow, I save the world :)

2 comments:

Morgan Baugus said...

I like your outlook on life. I agree that we have all been "inspired" by stories from the book and class, but I, like yourself am ready now to get out there and do something about it. I am excited as I'm sure you are to work in San Ysidro and I think there, you might find the fullfillment you're looking for from SLICE.
And by the way, although it doesnt directly involve myself, I really appreciate what you did for Israel's kids. It's the heart and action like yours that I think the SLICE class is meant to instill on students. Thank you :)

Alyssa Huff said...

I totally agree with you!
Your ending statement about how it is just one step at a time that we must conquer our life. First we must gain control of our own lives, then we can go out and tackle the world.
Well said =)