Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Differences form bonds

The lesson of finding common ground among varied ideals is portrayed in the story of Hazel Wolf. She has worked multiple odd jobs throughout her life and fought for her right to lead a decent and fullfilling life in America. Whenever she found a cuase that helped her to support what she believed in, she became heavily involved. One organization that she joined, but did not completely understand, was the Audubon Society. A close friend of hers urged her to gain some insight about the group and what they worked for so she expanded her mind to embrace their cuase. Hazel had joined an environmental group. She learned by watching the wildlife the society preserved she had goals common to those of the Audubon Society.

Just recently, I have begun to partake in social groups and activities, and that is helping me to expose myself to a larger scale of diversity among peoples' views. Other than that I see every class or social interaction as a way of learning from others. In a small way, these settings help people to discuss their views, ideals, and perceptions freely. They can become as involved as they want to be or choose not to participate.

Every person that I speak to, no matter where I am, expresses their individualism; they live a certain way that fits their needs to accomodate their ideals. Thus, to answer if there are people that live differently than me or have seperate ideals than thos of my own, yes.

No comments: