Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Finding Commonality in Difference

They idea of bringing people together with different points of view of things is a really good idea. However, when it is applied people tend to get lost. They no longer focus on the issue but instead, they bring things from their past of they make faulty generalizations. When everyone is has a common enemy they can put their differences aside and focus on the issue at hand. For example, Hazel Wolf was Atheist and against religion however, she put her differences aside in to work for a common goal.

As I was growing up I never liked to stay in one spot. I had to constantly be on the move. I did not like just staying in one group because I was always curious about what the other group of people were doing. I would travel from one group to the next. This occurred mostly in elementary school when I had super confidence and athletic ability. At school, it seemed like everyone got along through me. I showed people their commonalities rather than their differences and people got along. I did not ignore the differences instead it was more of knowing and looking past.

I think what Paul Loeb was trying to say with his quote is that communication of experiences promotes understanding when you have an audience that is willing to listen. You kind of have to force people to be open with each other otherwise people will become distant. However, you cannot just throw people with radically different ideas together because some one could get hurt. The environment has to be controlled or in a social level that is non-threatening. The art of rhetoric is very powerful and if by telling your story you cannot effect the world in a good way. Then I suggest that you tell your story, while listening to people that are on the other side. If you do not have a full understanding on an issue than you will be quick to make generalized assumptions and not look at how your decision will effect everyone.

I like how President Lincoln and Obama both tried to surround themselves with people of different view on issues so they can make informed decisions.

1 comment:

Bow Maker said...

"...communication of experiences promotes understanding when you have an audience that is willing to listen." I like this. I felt like a mediator in school too. I was always a floater that just sat and talked with the first group of people I would see that had a spot. Most of the time, not all, I was a key factor in the conversations of the day that would lead to broader thinking and a more positive attitude. I like to make people think but never feel like just one train of thought can capture me forever and me remain happy. Ty Lewis for your thoughts.

-Jeremy