Friday, March 13, 2009

You must look within for value, but must look beyond for perspective

Honestly, I forgot that we had to do a post this week. Better late then never.. maybe?

Bringing together a wide variety of different perspectives for the sake of a common goal helps keep people from separating those perspectives as being something in the way of said goal. Hearing the same information from people whose knowledge and ideals match yours doesn't result in much forward progress, but involving many types of people can expand a person's on how they view an issue.

The first example I thought of with people who seem to have nothing in common, but still work for a common goal was the ex-Klan member who works with a "a black lady [he] hated with a purple passion." They held a mutual mistrust but that gave way once their children were harassed for working with someone white/of colour, and ended up becoming close friends and bringing about change.

I don't think I put myself in situations with persons of very different idea or lives very often. More often than not, I think I end up driven into the situations rather than me being the driver so-to-speak. Though it isn't much, I've been trying to talk to people more often so that I may strike up a good relationship with those who aren't so much of a mirror of myself.


"The longer we listen to one another - with real attention - the more commonality we will find in all our lives. That is, if we are careful to exchange with one another life stories and not simply opinions.
-Barbara Deming

2 comments:

TylerMitchell said...

hahaha Good job at still posting, even though you forgot about it, Crystal. That shows a good commitment to the class!

And though you kind of belittled it, I think it is very admirable and cool of you to at least attempt to associate yourself with those whom "aren't so much of a mirror of" yourself!

Matthew Landen said...

I loved the one sentence talking about going out of your comfort zone in an attempt to talk to those who aren't a mirror of yourself. It takes a lot for most people to do this even though some may not realize the fact. I agree that there is always a way to find comonalities between people, it just takes a little searching to find it.