Monday, March 9, 2009

Difference

What Loeb means when he states "The more we listen to those who experiences and perspectives are unfamiliar, the more we realize what draws us together" is that the more perspectives you can get on a topic the more you will completely understand what it is you are so passionate about. Also unfamiliar perspectives will help you find new ways of helping your cause because you will no longer be thinking inside the box of ideas you have but outside the box. The example that I like was when a garbage incinerator was proposed to be built in a Brooklyn navy yard. This incinerator would spew toxic emissions over the city. Leaders of two very different ethnic groups in the nearby communities who were always feuding over housing and the control of local public schools joined forces to fight the building of the incinerator. With their teamwork they were able to overcome the proposal and the incinerator was never built. This shows that even people of different backgrounds and beliefs can work together to make a difference. In my own life i never really expose myself to people that have very different ideas than I do. I really do not stray from family and friends but, I probably should I like the idea Loeb uses that you will only grow if you step out of your comfort zone. I think I need to take that first step.

2 comments:

Bow Maker said...

Im sorry Tony, my eyes arnt good enough to read your blue script. 'Tis a pity and a shame.

-jeremy

Lewis Jr. said...

Good job man. I never used to like stepping outside of my comfort zone. However, whenever I did it made a better person. It also gave character. It's not easy, but it's mostly fun to experience something your not used to.