Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Castles made of sand

"What is the lesson in the story where the Stanford student says he hopes his grandchildren will get to volunteer in the same homeless shelter as he has? What would it take to create a society where people didn't have to sleep in shelters or in the streets? Do you think we could make this happen by the time your grandchildren come along?"

I still stand by when I said that you'll never truly understand until you have experienced it first hand. This one-on-one volunteerism is a great way for individuals to experience these matters first hand. Having one volunteer for every person in a shelter, I believe, would greatly help people understand what it is like to be living on the streets and why people do or are forced to. I know that not all people are forced to live on the streets, but chose to live on the streets for numerous reasons, being their view on society or even mental health. I do not believe that it will ever be possible to create a world that has no one living on the streets. I know that there will always be shelters where the unfortunate can house themselves. It may seem a bit pessimistic, but then I can just hope that I will be proven wrong one day where everyone can join together and take part to make sure communities strive. I know personally that I will make sure my children and y grandchildren will understand this life, this world and that they will be the change they want to see in this world, as I have done and my parents have before me. I only hope to pass this on.
As I said in my comment to Jeremy's blog, "I've been saying this for a long time now, that something awful would have to happen on a grand scale to the people before any major change will occur. As to being morbid, I've always said that the only thing that will shock the inhabitants to drastically change there ways would be mass death, talking hundreds of thousands to millions...so you're not the only one. If you've ever read Fight Club, that's kind of what Tyler Durden was going for, except he didn't want to kill people be he wanted to cause that mass shock from his planned catastrophes."

1 comment:

AshleeHenderson said...

Yes. I agree that when you experience something first hand, it affects you the most. To see it with your own eyes can make all the difference.