Wednesday, February 11, 2009

During our last class their was a short debate about whether we are born leaders, or molded into leaders. This week's blog adresses that question; I believe that the influences and experiences around us are what help us grow into leaders. At one time or another in our lives, many of us have been confronted with issues or conflict. We are forced to make a decision that could lead us down one path or another. "Do I go against what I know is right or do I trust other people to tell me what to do?" Some of us are not fortunate enough to have that positive influence around us to help us distinguish right from wrong. However, when you are given the support of your family, friends and a strong community they will not lead you astray.

As leaders we should always take it upon ourselves to help out no matter how small the task. And we should feel inclined to encourage others to do the same. Being privileged to leadership positions say alot about who we are as people and where we come from. I sometimes choose that road less traveled. Although it takes extra effort and others may stand back and ask me why, I simply reply "because I can". I am forever thankful to have a family stand beside me with constant support in everything I do. To have friends and community to stand behind me to always give me that extra push. But most of all I am thankful for the opportunities that are laid in front of me to make a difference in my life and the lives of others.

There are a few important characteristics I use in social activism. The passion I develop for a person who needs my help or a problem that needs to be solved. Passion is my drive, my strength to do good and to act on things or people that need change. Responsibility, when a problem comes along, I take it upon myself to do what I can to help and to join others wanting to help the cause. I am always happy to offer support to others whether they need an extra set of hands or just someone to give them emotional supprt to keep going.


No comments: