Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Have Faith in Ourselves and Each Other

I consider myself very blessed to have grown up with the families I have and the views I have been subject to. Although my parents are divorced, I was fortunate enough that both families stressed the same beliefs and morals.

My mother taught my brother, sisters, and I how to be involved in our community with such activities like creating shoe boxes full of toiletries for the homeless and picking out angel tree gifts every year. My step-father has always been an example to me of social activism, with things like volunteering at church, coaching children's' sports teams, and helping out friends and neighbors with "handy-man" jobs. I received the same support and examples from my father and step-mother will their involvement in church and school activities.

I follow the Christian faith, as do both of my families. I attended Northwest Christian School from when I was in preschool until I graduated high school in 2007. From a very young age, I was taught to love and respect all people, "For we have all sinned and fall short of the glory of God" Romans 3:23. No man is better than another and we all need help, therefore do unto others as you would have done unto yourself.

In Jr. high and high school community service projects were required to graduate. There were always opportunities through school to go on mission trips to California, Mexico, Illinois, etc. over Christmas Break, Spring Break, and Summer Vacation. There were some students who considered it a burden to have to complete a designated amount of hours each semester, but I enjoyed working with the community. I had opportunities to work with the elderly, Gompers, children, and the homeless. Not only did I enjoy each time but I also found that it is a rewarding experience to help others in any way possible.

I believe that my families, my religion, and Northwest Christian opened my eyes to issues in our community and further more the entire world. The Christian faith stresses the importance of reaching out to others; Jesus said, "Go and make disciples of all nations". I believe that although I may not be well-educated in every social issue, my previous experiences and compassion for people qualify myself and anyone to reach out and make a difference in our community.

The word "faith" is often coupled with "religion", but I like how Cornel West corresponds faith and courage with taking that first step into social activism; its like "stepping out onto nothing, hoping to land on something."

-Morgan :)

2 comments:

~Brandi Beaulieu~ said...

I loved the video! Very appropriate!! =]

Bow Maker said...

Agreed. The video was a nice touch. And I do concur with your beliefs. I think a majority of people, especially religious, have an extra shoulder to lean on when going through a hard time. Although its not my cup of tea, Its nice knowing someone is there all the time I would assume.