Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Taking Initiative

The main message I got from this chapter is that if you want change than you have to take the initiative towards that goal. The first step is always going to be hard and a little scary, but we shouldn’t let that fear turn us away. In order for us to grow we need to step outside of our comfort zone. I learned that the hard way when reality began invading my space. That’s when I started to care for the environment and wanted to help others become more positive. It was difficult at first and I was scared. I started out as befriending random people that I saw at lunch. Then I complemented people for their achievements. Next I joined NHS where I was able to overcome my fear of large needles and donate blood, pick up trash on the side of a road, and help in the Special Olympics. Now I’m here in SLICE, where I can continue to help save the planet and keep people smiling.

My optimistic personality would best benefit social activism. With it I can keep everyone motivated even in the grimmest of situations.

Don't Let Your Happenings Ruin Your Happiness

-Joseph Simmons

2 comments:

of.cedars said...

"I started out as befriending random people that I saw at lunch. Then I complemented people for their achievements."

I smiled when I read this, as I try to do these things myself. I think connecting with people and working to destroy the illusion of lonely isolation can be hugely beneficial to our world, and it is such a simple and fulfilling thing to do.
The second sentence I love because too often we react in a "personal" way to these things- either becoming jealous, or using them as a basis for comparison, or somesuch. Not often enough do we share our admiration of others and their deeds!

Dr. V said...

You were one of the first GCC students I met and I'll never forget your smile. You have to admire others' successes before you can admire your own.