Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Little Things Count

Growing up, I experienced some very negative things in my community. I come from a small town and belonged to a small church, and for whatever reasons, there was a totally negative vibe in the church community. Even though everyone talked about everyone else's business, people kept to themselves when someone met hard times. I specifically remember a terrible incident that happened when I was 13. My 31 year old uncle was dying of cancer, and I spent quite a few of my afternoons after school at my aunt and uncle's house babysitting my little cousins. I was on the cheerleading squad and missed alot of practices, and a week before a "competition" the coach called and asked me to quit. This was a Catholic school cheerleading squad; small and not much of any competition with or without me. It hurt me greatly that these people at my church knew my family situation, and were not only unsupportive but petty.

I am so grateful for the time I spent with my uncle, and that I could offer something to my aunt and uncle; even if it was just babysitting. I will always remember that anything you can do to help matters. Sometimes in the most overwhelming situations, the only thing you can do is something small. I made a promise to myself never to become one of those people who dismisses the hardships of people in my community. I offer what I can of myself to someone who may be suffering because anything is better than nothing.

3 comments:

Jessica Wolf said...

I am sorry to hear that at such a young age you were faced with the realization of how petty and heartless some can be. But I am glad to hear that even with this you overcame and still persist to make our world a better one. Thank you for your inspiration.

of.cedars said...

This is a good story. It has many important facets; the importance or perseverance, the importance of courage, and the importance of staying true to yourself. In the Honors Forum we have read Kathleen Kennedy Townsend's book and it is about this very thing, the fact that churches are losing their humanitarian and community-oriented aspects. Townsend, too, is catholic, and you might find her book interesting.

Although it would've been preferable to exist in a church community that supported its members, we can never forget that experience is the greatest teacher and, as Rodan said, "No experience is wasted such that you learn from it."

Dr. V said...

I'm catholic and it's makes me mad that "they" weren't more supportive. I mean, what is the whole mission of the catholic church? I'm glad you persisted and you will be able to overcome pettiness again when faced with the same scenarios.