Wednesday, February 4, 2009

STAND UP FOR BELIEFS

I definitely agree with the following quote by Loeb "when we shrink from the world, our souls shrink, too." There are so many times in our lives where we will feel strongly about an issue and yet choose not to say something or voice our opinions. Sometimes it is because we feel as though even if we were to say something it would not make a difference and sometimes we do not speak up because we have a sense of embarrassment and are afraid of what others might say. For example, I support gay marriage and whenever somebody asks my position on the issue, I proudly tell them that I am for it without worrying about how they are going to react.
Nevertheless, just this last semester there was a large debate going on in one of my classes about the topic of gay marriages and whether or not we should vote for or against the issue. While, surprisingly, most of the class was against gay marriage, there were a small handful of us that were proud to say we were in support of it. However, once I started to be attacked my the students that were against the topic, I began to back down, even though I wanted SO badly to argue right back and explain my opinions to them because I was afraid of what they might think of me after that. I was almost embarrassed and did not want to be looked at in a bad way just because of my view. But, if I could go back in time, I would never have backed down. I do not care what people think of me and if someone is so ignorant that they would think less of me just because of my opinion on gay marriage, then I do not care about their opinions in the first place. In addition, like Loeb stated, if we do not stand up for our beliefs, "our souls shrink too."

WE NEED TO STAND UP FOR OURSELVES AND OUR BELIEFS NO MATTER WHAT!!

2 comments:

Amanda H. said...

Several years ago, a very similar situation happened to me, albeit over a different issue and in a different venue. I backed down completely, just pretty much stopped talking, and to this day, I regret it. I still think about it and get mad at myself for giving up so easily.

But, I am even more upset and disappointed with the person who degraded me and my view to the point where I felt that I did not have a voice.

I think that instances like this illustrate that, yes, we need to be strong and willing to stand up for what we believe, but even more that we need to be mindful of other people, even if we do not agree with them. It seems as though debate has become more of a merciless competition, with winners and losers, instead of a discussion involving opposing views. In a true discussion, all "sides" should win because everyone should come away with new information and a different perspective; now, most "debates" are simply a dogfight where the goal is to tear the other person down.

I worry that fear and intimidation keeps people from voicing their opinions and I hope that we reach a point where no one has their voice taken away from them.

Dr. V said...

I also agree with Amanda and Brandi.
I agree that gay marriage should exist but it seems that even in the 21st century people still degrade you if you speak your opinion in favor of it. I couldn't believe that CA did not pass their bill for gay marriages. I lived there and being gay was acceptable everywhere and I cannot image why you wouldn't let two people who love each other marry. Who cares what sex they are!
Can you imagine society telling a straight couple that they couldn't get married?