Monday, February 23, 2009

Everyone has a story to tell

Everyone has a story to tell about their life and experiences good or bad. However, when you think about it there are so many stories that go untold. When people talk and others listen you get a sense of connection. A feeling that you can relate to that person or sympathy. I heard many stories growing up about how my dad grew up in an entirly different world than me. He had to fight almost every day, he wasn't the oldest but he picked up the resposibilty of the older brother. He told me that he learned from his siblings mistakes and always tried to think of the best choice in order to pull ahead. My mother told me about how when she was younger her family only had one new outfit per school year. She said she never noticed her family was poor it just never occured to her. I take many things for granted although I do not intend too. I have never had to deal with something not being there or missing so I do not know what it is like to miss it. Most people can agree with that statement. I heard this quote in high school "those who do not learn from the past are doomed to repeat it." I believe this will forever hold true. The experiences and lifes of others are so important to hear because it can bring together in understanding one another, instead of thinking I am the only one. My parents would tell me that the world does not revolve around me and that we all have to make sacrifices for those we care about. SLICE has opened my eyes to the reallities of the world and I hope my siblings will learn to be not so selfish.

No comments: