Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Open minds

"When we shrink from the world, our souls shrink too."




Yes, I agree with the quote because in my family we are very family orientated. When people have problems outside of our family we feel bad but, we do not, as Alexa said "take action." When we shrink ourselves from the world our mind shrinks too. I was taught that we must accept people as they are and I have always tried to do that. This brings up the question why should we accept people? I thought about it and it goes without saying " treat people the way you want to be treated." The more open our minds are to new concepts and cultures the easier it will be for people to get along. People only fear what they do not understand.



I tend to not open my mouth about issues I am not educated about. However, when I do know the answer I will voice what I have to say. Sometimes, my statement can be wrong. However, if it was not for me speaking up I would never have known. Although, I tend to keep quiet sometimes because my information may not have come from a reliable source. I feel that if we are able to understand where the other side is coming from then we won't jump to conclusions on an issue. People need to be willing listen just as much as speak and be able to find a balance, like Steph said.

We should always keep our minds open to knew ideas otherwise. The world needs variety and different perspectives without it democracy won't work as efficient.

No comments: