Sunday, February 1, 2009

Strength


After analyzing this quote I would have to agree with Loeb. If you exclude yourself from this world you are deprieving yourself of the opportunities that provide human growth. In not participating in our world and having interaction between others you are providing no room for your soul to expand. This being portrayed when Leob states "when we open ourselves up to those around us... we discover strengths and passions we never knew we had."


I believe that it is always better to speak out as long as it is done in an appropriate manner. I think that it takes a strong person to stand against a crowd and speak from their heart. Without this type of strength in our community (ie. Martin Luther King) our world would have perished. I can recall certain instances as to where I did stay silent over a public issue because just as much as I believe in standing up for what you believe in I also think that listening and observing the views of others is equally important. This is how we learn and grow.


2 comments:

of.cedars said...

I agree with your point about growth and feel this is something important for us as a society to harp on in the coming times. Our vernacular must accomodate for the assumption that, quite simply, helping others is really helping yourself.
I feel that rather than try direct conflict with laziness, apathy, and self-interest, we should analyze the source of these mechanisms and do what we can to employ them toward more desirable ends.

Kelsey Hughes said...

Jessica,

I certainly agree with what you posted about speaking out in an appropriate manner. As well as allowing yourself to grow as a person. We will never know how strong we are if we don't talk.

-Kelsey